Day 1: This Shall Be Fun!

I couldn’t think of a better time to start my blogging comeback than with the start of the 5th Better Body Challenge at RARE Crossfit.  I realize not all of you are RARE Crossfit members, but the information I hope to provide should help/entertain/inform any reader.  The Better Body Challenge lasts 6 weeks with an emphasis on nutrition, but also includes workouts, recovery, and the use of fish oil.  As coaches we have found that with the combination of these elements we have been the most successful.

80/20

You’ve probably heard me say it before, but I don’t mind repeating myself (ask my husband): 80%of your fitness is due to nutrition and the remaining 20% is made up of how you workout, rest, and recover.  I’ve always believed this, but it wasn’t until the last 35 weeks that I REALLY started believing it.  I haven’t blogged about my pregnancy  (well I haven’t blogged at all actually) and I will keep it brief today, but during the last 35 weeks I have had a strong focus on my nutrition, even stronger than usual and it has made all the difference.

Knowing that I am growing a human has helped me focus on not only staying away from things that inhibit our (baby and me) health, but increasing the things that will increase our level of health.  Through proper nutrition, I’ve avoided morning sickness, increased blood pressure, swelling, excessive weight gain, a lot of back pain, and the overall exhaustion I hear a lot of women talk about.  Not to say I didn’t gain weight, have some back pain, and spend my share of days tired and grumpy, but those things were minimized through my nutrition.  I’ve religiously taken my fish oil and vitamins and that has helped immensely in my energy levels.  And until recently, I’ve rested like I’ve never rested before!

Exercise did play a role in this, but on average I’ve probably only worked out a couple times a week throughout my pregnancy.  During week 20 I pulled a muscle that has continued to bother me, especially when I am overly active so this has put a cap on the amount of activity I can do.  I have completely relied on my nutrition to not only keep Baby Elijah healthy and growing, but to keep mommy sane and comfortable.

Optimal Health

Just because you are not pregnant doesn’t mean your nutrition isn’t important.  Optimal nutrition will lead you to optimal health.  Many diseases can be avoided through nutrition. I believe that proper nutrition throughout multiple generations would drastically reduce the level of disease we have in this country.  It takes a lot of foresight and determination to think about how your lunch plate is affecting your health on a daily basis, but I challenge you to do so…at least for the next 6 weeks.

This isn’t a weight loss challenge, if it was we’d call it the Biggest Loser, this is a BETTER BODY CHALLENGE.  We challenge you to a better body and in turn a better life.  If you would like to know more about the RARE Better Body Challenge, visit http://rarecrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/BBC-5-Instructions.pdf  If you are not a member of RARE Crossfit and would like to challenge yourself for 6 weeks, nothing is stopping you from looking at the criteria and doing the same as the rest of the challengers.

Advertisements

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Suzanne Bushee says:

    YAYYY!!! You’re back! 🙂

    1. Lauren says:

      I’m so glad to be back…even though I really didn’t go anywhere.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s