I am a Valentine’s Day sucker, I love hearts and purple, red, and pink and chocolate and flowers and all of the ridiculous things that go along with Valentine’s Day. My. Poor. Husband. He has gotten the most ridiculously large, loud, and colorful Valentine’s in the past years…and I wouldn’t want to disappoint! Tomorrow afternoon I plan on locking myself in my office for a few hours with a bottle of glue and some glitter. Watch out.
As for me, this year I am committed to making this a holiday that is NOT about seeing how many truffles I can fit into my mouth. I’m going to make it as healthy as possible. I’m going to prepare by making a few of these little treats tomorrow, the last time I posted them I called them “No BS Cookies,” but only because I was tired and not feeling creative. Today I am calling them “No Valentine’s BS Cookies,” much more creative, right? After all, it’s a great way to help us avoid the Valentines BS…. like cookies and candy.
All you need:
- 1 1/2 cup coconut flakes (Preferably unsweetened, but all I can find around here,short of going to the specialty store, is sweetened)
- 1 1/2 cup pulverized almonds (Just throw them in your food processor or have your kids go at them with a rolling pin–both equally noisy)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/8 cup honey.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, or almond butter, or peanut butter.
1. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Mix all ingredients.
3. Roll into balls and chill.
This is one of our favorite snacks, we have put protein powder in them before, a couple drops of peppermint extract, raisins, we’ve tried all sorts of combinations, but this is our favorite! You could also wrap these up in one of those little tins and give it as a gift already made, they’re very simple and your family and friends will love them! If they don’t, eat them yourself, let them have all of the refined, sugary stuff!
PS-Today is Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday, I just thought you should know.