Happy New Year! There is something so refreshing and renewing about the New Year. Although the cold and wet weather tends to make it hard to think about new life and rebirth, it seems that changing the last two digits of the date makes everything seem new and wonderful. It’s another chance to start over and make the changes you’ve been waiting to make since August. 🙂 I’m not very good at New Year’s resolutions, actually, I usually make up short term goals throughout the year as to avoid New Year’s resolutions altogether. This year I will continue to seek those short term goals, as I work toward my goal of being healthier with each passing year. I hope you’ll join me! For those of you who are making New Year’s resolutions, or 2011 goals as I like to call them, I have a few tips that will help you be more successful in your journey this year.
1. Choose a goal that is feasible. For example: I will run at least 3 times every week, NOT, I will be come an Olympic gold medalist in multiple track and field events, although I’ve never run before in my life.
2. Create smaller-short term goals that will help in your journey to your larger goal. For example: I will run 3 times this week for 5 minutes each time. I will run 3 times the next week for 7 minutes each time and so on…
3. Reward yourself along the way. For example: After 2 weeks of completing my goal, I will buy myself a new set of ear buds for my iPod.
4. Put your goal up on your refrigerator.
5. Get a friend to support you.
6. Make your goal as enjoyable as possible if you’re trying to do something you hate, like exercising, pick an exercise you enjoy. If you can’t think of one, pick the one you hate the least.
7. Set yourself up for success. For example: if you’re not a morning person don’t say “I’m going to wake up at 4:30 to run 10 miles before the sun rises.”
8. Take a few minutes to write down your plan for 2011, the more specific you are, the more successful you will be!
Spend the day setting yourself up for success. Go join a gym, go to the grocery store and stock up on healthy foods, make a change in your schedule so you will have time this week to work out and eat well! Make this year the best one yet, it’s up to you to make the changes you’ve been waiting for. HAPPY NEW YEAR!